Booking and Bail
After a criminal suspect is arrested, the next steps in the case are the processing of the person into police custody ("booking"), and a determination of his or her eligibility for release from custody in exchange for the posting of a set amount of money ("bail"). Click on the links below to learn more about booking and bail.
Booking and Bail Basics:
- Booking Find out what may happen after a criminal suspect is arrested and placed in police custody.
- Bail: Getting Out of Jail After an Arrest Discusses the process of setting bail, including what happens when you post bail and how to get out of jail on bail.
- "Own Recognizance" Release Discusses the process of releasing a suspect on his or her promise in writing to appear in court later on, and what a judge considers when deciding whether to grant "own recognizance" releases.
- Bail Proceedings: Background Basic description of bail proceedings from a historical perspective.
- Bail Hearing Procedures Discusses the factors a court may look at when deciding what is necessary to make sure a defendant shows up at trial.
- Posting Bail Explains how to post bail after an amount is set by the court.
- Bail Bond Agents Explains what a bail bond agent is and what he does.